Tuesday, July 29, 2008

help?!

I have been thinking about this final assignment for the past week and after going through various possible terms to write about such as "shit", "organic" and "kinship". I have decided upon the term "boundary". I chose this word based upon various class discussions which we have had. The looming question that we seem to have ended each class with has been -- what is the limit or what is the line or threshold, how far can we push things? Thus, I think that the term boundary is very relevant to what has developed in our class discussions and to our society at the moment. These societal issues which I am referring to are issues like marriage boundary (it being extended to homosexuals), class boundaries, race boundaries, gender boundaries, technology boundaries and so on. We normally see think of boundary as clear physical boarders that divides things. However, there are invisible boundaries that you can not see yet has shape our lives and produce consequences that are very apparent and to the eyes (i.e. poverty, way women and men dresses...).


Please let me know if this is a good idea and I am open to any suggestions as to how I can go about describing this key term.

7 comments:

Bernie said...

I think boundary is a great idea to discuss. I don't have much advice; all the things that you could write about are already in your post, such as marriage boundary and technological boundaries. Maybe you can focus on two or three specific boundaries and examine each of them to the point where pushing the subject an inch further results as being inappropriate. For example, my girlfriend's previous essay was about stereotypes and homosexuality in Brokeback Mountain. If you watched that movie, you may want to explain how people have or have not accepted it and why that is.

Rachel said...

I agree with Bernie; boundary is a great key word, and I'm kind of surprised that it isn't already in the book.

It also made me think of some issues Collen's most recent post posed regarding internet plagiarism, and the boundary between public usage and private ownership. She referenced it mainly to our blogs. It might be interesting to touch on that in your final post.

Ashley Tang said...

If you do decide to discuss about race boundary in your post...you could bring up what Truman said in class a few days ago. He was saying how he only makes racist jokes to his friends because he knows they won't be offended. So there's a boundary line for when you can say things and who you say it to. There are so many things you can write about boundary so I definitely think it's a great idea!

Pete said...

I think your keyword is a really good idea. I don't know if you still need any help, but a good example of boundaries always being 'crossed' is the NBC show, The Office. The boss acts in inappropriate ways because he thinks he's funny. There are many 'awkward' moments based on the boss's behaviors. It makes me think "that's just crossing the line", but then again where is this line? I think it's something that varies between groups like friends, cultures, and society. These are sometimes an unspoken set of rules. I suppose what the complicated part is explaining how these rules are formed. (sorry if this confuses you).
Maybe you can suggest how sometimes people can cross 'boundaries' without knowing them, or when 'boundaries aren't clear. An example is a boundary separating two cities, states, or countries. Without a sign of some sort, some people might not know where the 'line' is. There is always a fine line between blank and blank. Love and hate for example. Hope this helps!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Koy Saelee said...

Thanks everyone, your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated! :)

Christopher Schaberg said...

(Sorry I got in on this discussion late—but everyone is right: it's a great keyword to take on!!)